Sunday, November 15, 2009

Refurb an Antique For My First Straight Razor?

OK. I don't think anybody is reading this - at least not yet, so I'll also post this question on a razor forum somewhere too. However, if you stumble upon it here, please comment.

Is it reasonable for a Straight Razor Rookie to pick up an antique straight razor in an antique shop somewhere and refurbish it for his first razor, say via Bill Ellis' methods? I mean, for crying out loud, a lot of times you can pick 'em up for $5 or $10. I realize that, at a minimum, it'd mean a lot of elbow grease, and would only be cost effective if a guy had the right tools to begin with. Or does it make more sense to cough up the $100 - $250 for a good blade and start that way?

What about the cheaper blades? I saw an ad somewhere on some site that had a nice looking straight razor for $60 or $70, but it was titanium coated stainless steel. Quick digression: I'm a fly fisherman and sometimes teach fly casting. One of the first things we warn beginners about is the so-called "hardware store" rod that you used to be able to pick up for $30. They were so bad that a beginner couldn't hope to cast one decently, and would likely be put off fly casting forever because of the bad experience thes rods would induce. Does a $50 - $75 razor offer the same bad experience to a rookie straight razor user?

No comments:

Post a Comment