Sunday, November 1, 2009

Double-Edge Shave Redux

I shaved again with my new old Gillette double-edge. Checking the post dates of these entries, you'll note that I don't shave every day. This may be a disadvantage from a consistency standpoint, but there it is.

This shave wasn't quite as close, and I nicked myself in two or three spots. I'm not as scared of the blade as last time, but I still felt a little trepidation. I lathered twice, going with the grain the first time, and (mostly) against it the second.

OK. These entries are seeming a little trivial, even to me, but I have to start this journey somewhere. I need to get out there and find a straight razor, get it in shape and try that. Gotta get to the forums and see if that's a practical approach. I found a couple of what appeared to be servicable razors last weekend in the antique shops for the ridiculously low prices of $7 - $15. If all they truly need is a hone and a strop, it seems like an inexpensive way to step into true straight razor shaving.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment