Saturday, November 14, 2009

goin' smooth....

Another shave with my vintage Gillette DE and the Wilkinson blades. I'm getting the hang of it more and more. I can get as close a shave with two passes as I've ever had with the multi-blade "Hydras" I've been shaving with for years (God forbid we ever get to 9 blades in one of those things). I had only one slight abrasion and the resulting red fluid leak, right at the jaw-line.

I'm beginning to really like the feel of the DE. Being all metal, it has a good heft, something I didn't even know I missed with the mostly plastic Mach 3 and its predecessor, the Trac II. I have to admit, the vintage DE still feels a little awkward as the handle is shorter than I'm used to. I will need to search out a long handled version.

I've been lathering with a cake of Williams Mug Shaving Soap by hand, the way I'd use a bar to wash my hands. Vastly inferior, and probably blasphemous, but that's how I'm traveling this journey, not necessarily how one should. At any rate, I've got a brush on order, the inexpensive but highly rated Tweezerman. More on that in a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment