Sunday, October 25, 2009

Gillette DE Detour

I’m moving into this whole straight razor thing a little slow, I’ll admit. However, that’s what this blog is all about – my path (as opposed to any kind of direct path) to classic straight-edge shaving. In my research on razors and shaving, I’ve become enamored with double-edge safety razor shaving. That may be a stop on the journey.

I had to take my lovely wife Lisa to the airport this morning, and I stopped to poke around in some antique stores on the way home. Indeed, I discovered an old Gillette double-edge while spelunking. I don’t know the model – I don’t know that much about them yet, but it’s in great shape and was only $5.00 [since identified as a 1960's era Gillette Super Speed - see Country Joe's Collectible Stuff, a very handy site for DE razor identification]. I saw an identical one in another case, plus a Schick, each marked $8.50, but figured I didn’t need two, let alone three at this point. If I really get the bug, I know where they are.

I found a related item in another store – a neat stainless steel case with the word ‘RAZOR’ embossed on it. At $5, it was too cool to pass up. It’s a simple clamshell case, about the size of a regular bar of bath soap. The Gillette fits perfectly.


I brought razor and case home, cleaned them up with alcohol, and boiled them for five minutes. I loaded the razor with a Wilkinson Sword blade from the pack I picked up the other day. Tomorrow I’ll have my first-ever classic double-edge razor shave in forty years of scraping hair off my face – and I’ll try not to cut my nose, lip, or ear while doing it.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for the fantastic article. The place else
    could anyone get that kind of info in such a perfect means
    of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I am at
    the search for such information.

    ReplyDelete

  2. Vitamins
    I can`t make that rally (Jean)....I don`t need any information on the

    HST, perhaps I can attend a future rally, I did partake in last night`s

    phone town hall meeting with Adrian..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Free marketplace in Nigeria to post free ads online, sell and buy all kinds of items, cars, education, jobs, real estate and more, join now and make money! You can Register now and become a part of the UFRICA community. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.
    sales in nigeria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sneak Peak through the history of Indian Body Art and Tattoos, from its humble beginnings to mainstream fashion, religion and influence
    http://www.all-about-india.com/Indian-Body-Art.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Small businesses can count on us for IT Support, Cloud Solutions and IT Outsourcing. We always try to provide reliable, responsive IT help and cloud solutions in Manhattan with a personalized touch that can cost effectively.
    it outsourcing

    ReplyDelete